No Wheat, No Dairy, No Oatmeal, No Barley or Rye ...
Oh, and NO Sugar ...
Ok, ... Great ... So what do I feed my kid?
This has been the reality over the last month, our new way of eating and my new way of cooking.
I am so happy to know now the reason behind all of Alyce's tummy aches and other problems, for a couple months I felt so bad and could not figure out what could be wrong with her. Everyday she was feeling terrible and would tell me how bad her tummy was hurting and she started getting rough scaly skin all over and was having nightmares all the time. So I thought - maybe we should have her allergie tested ...
I felt so overwhelmed at first when the doctor listed off all the things we eat ... all the time ... and said No More - I stood there realizing - I could no longer be lazy - and was kind of irritated that having children forces you to Work Harder than I was wanting to. I thought, this means no more McDonalds no more pizza no more milkshakes, no mac n' cheese, bread, pasta, cereal .... none of the convienent things everyone loves.
Then as I finished up everything with her appointment and was getting her into the car, I looked at her and realized how selfish I had been feeling. For months she had been sick and struggling but was still happy all the time. I realized that I needed to be grateful to know these things, now I had the knowledge to help fix her tummy aches, and that learning to cook differently was not a big deal, mostly that she is So Worth Working Hard For. Having to plan ahead is ok, and having a little inconvenience is not such a bad thing. I decided to look at things positively. I knew if someone else could cook this stuff I could too, and I would work hard to make it great!
So now here we are a month later and we haven't famished away! I've done so much research that I can go to the store and get everything we need to make delicious meals all week. Most of it is from scratch ... I can now make brown rice flour .... I have learned to make several different breads that we all think are yummy! We make desserts and treats all the time and I even learned how to make home made rice milk .... (What a Nerd - huh...) And it is all Dairy, Gluten, & "mostly" Sugar Free :)
This bread was tasty but a little on the "dense" side ... not to mention Ugly!
This bread we lovingly refer to as Frankenstein ...
So life goes on, with a little more effort we figure out what works and end up enjoying it - :)



I'm proud of you and your positive attitude...you are right, Alyce is worth it...it will be a lot of work, but if anyone can do it, it's YOU!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that you now know what's wrong with that little sweetie pie and can make life happier for her.
Love you!
Thanks Mom, You are the best example of working hard and having a good outlook on it all -
ReplyDelete